As common as OPACs are throughout libraries and as simple as they are in function, they are often an afterthought when compared to the more visibly used systems and tech.  Ongoing degradation of the OPAC stations at the midsized urban library where I work created the need for an overhaul of the existing stations. Coming into this position I inherited the systems that were already in place.  While not a huge priority the OPACs have been on my list of things in need of attention.  The OPACs were basically stock Windows XP installs with a limited user account for the OPAC.  The limited account disabled the start menu and applications except what were accessible by shortcut on the desktop.  Each desktop had a shortcut to the OPAC via internet explorer. Within Internet Explorer there is an option to whitelist, each having just the url of the OPAC accesible to end users.  While not a great solution they chugged along for years. Each service pack and IE version upgrade caused minor headaches but nothing that couldn't be sorted relatively quickly.  Not pretty but they served their purpose. Recently there has been more mischievous patrons, with apparently endless free time, trying all they can to use the OPACs for general browsing.  While these attempts to defeat the WinXP and IE limitations to access the greater web have failed, they have resorted abusing the few options left open by the default Windows limited account setting.   Specifically, creating shortcuts and new folders, filling the desktop with bookmarks to the OPAC, and flipping the screen.  Basically no real damage but annoying none-the-less. Seeing a patron trying to use an OPAC that had its screen flipped was the tipping point.  While I had considered using Steady State or Deep Freeze to further secure the OPACs in the past, I had been reluctant to use either.  The former seemed like overkill for an OPAC and in my experience takes a huge performance hit.  For the latter it would be a shame to use half-a-dozen licenses just to prevent tampering on an OPAC- there is no risk of patron data retention or privacy concerns. Having no available funds and not being a huge fan of Windows XP I set out looking for a linux based alternative.  I first came across [webconverger](http://webconverger.com/), through a posting on the [library hackers unite blog](http://libraryhacker.org/2011/05/06/opac-stations-windowstm-kiosks-no-more/), which looked good but was short on configurablitly and documentation, unless ordering a customized version. Searching around a bit I found a [great post giving instructions for creating a web kiosk using ubuntu and Opera](http://www.ianatkinson.net/computing/operakiosk.htm) in kiosk mode.  After following the steps outlined here, I had slick looking fullscreen opac that required with no staff intervention.  One issue was whitelisting just the OPAC address.  With the address bar hidden, patrons would not be able to navigate away directly, but there does exist some links from the consortium’s catalog offsite, while useful, they are beyond the target need of the OPAC.   Installing firestarter on Ubuntu and whitelisting just the opac address was a fairly quick solution. Being that the hardware used for the OPACs are more than half a decade old, I started evaluating some lighter-weight distros, as Ubuntu seemed a bit resource intensive and provided more built-in functionality than would ever be needed on an OPAC setup.  After testing xubuntu and lubuntu I settled on good old [Debian](http://www.debian.org/).  Xubuntu didn’t feel any lighter than Ubuntu and Lubuntu still seemed a bit rough around the edges.  Debian was just right, it feels snappy and there were no complications transferring the process over from configuring Ubuntu. The final product works great, each OPAC starts up auto login to an account with limited permissions, the web browser autostarts in full screen and loads the OPAC webpage.  The interface is nice and clean with just a home button in the top left to allow users to navigate back to the opac frontpage.  So far they have proved to be tamper proof. The last step has been to image the finished OPAC using the excellent [clonezilla](http://clonezilla.org/) tools.  Now each OPAC station can be imaged simply and quickly.  The entire setup uses free and open source software and start to finish took about half-a-day, imaging each additional OPAC takes just 15-20 minutes. Searching around the usual suspects of library listservs, many public libraries seem to be using commercial solutions towards the same ends.  A cursory glance at a few of these options indicates that the cost would be over \$100 and requires Windows to run on top of. While the cost is not terribly high for a commercial option, if you have an afternoon to spend on setup the Linux option easily fullfills all of the OPAC requirements for no additional cost.   Opera Ubunut Kiosk Instructions- Ian Atkinson Additonal Opera configuration